Sunday, October 5, 2008

Update of CT Progress

The past few weeks have been very informative in my CT training. As I said before, we are an outpatient facility so we don't see much trauma. The past few weeks we have had more bone work than ususal. I am amazed at the detail of bone that CT shows. I have been able to scan a few feet, two wrists, a few spines, and an elbow. Sometime it is a challenge getting the patient in the correct position for the scan due to their injuries. The elbow was interesting since the patient had just came from ortho and had his elbow in a soft cast stabilized in a bent position. We finally placed him head first in a "swimmers position" to enable the elbow close the center of the scanner. We got great images. I have been able to scan a few lumbar spine myelogram patients and one disc-o-gram. With the disc-o-gram, I have been learning how to angle the scanner parallel to the plane of the discs of interest. We also scanned a cancer patient's humerus for bone mets. I am still learning to do coronal and sagittal reformats on bone work. Sometimes it is confusing, because of different doctors requesting different reformats. I believe constant repetition is the key to learning and becoming more efficient in the field of CT.

No comments: